Monday 9 September 2013

thursday afternoon

Late on Thursday afternoon I decided to take a trip to Trafalgar Square, first stopping off at St Martin-in-the-Fields. What luck! There at the back of the church was an an orchestra practicing for a concert. I joined a handful of people - old women, teenagers with backpacks, tourists with umbrellas, business men in suits, sitting in silence in the wooden pews, watching and listening.

The early evening light streaming through the windows was spectacular.

Afterwards I spent an hour or so in the National Gallery, a place I love to go and get lost in every now and again. Such a calming experience I always find - all that cool marble and dark wood really soothes the soul. Here's poor Saint Sebastian, early Christian saint and martyr as depicted by Matteo di Giovanni.

No comments:

Post a Comment