Tuesday 3 June 2014

a night at the globe

I enjoyed a perfect early summer evening at Shakespeare's Globe last Thursday. I was at the Globe last two or three years ago - I went to watch a late night performance of Romeo and Juliet with friends under starry autumn skies. The beautiful building hadn't lost any of its magic for me; I was buzzing as soon as I walked through the doors. Fast forward a few years and I'm in ancient Egypt - this time I'd come to watch Antony and Cleopatra. The show was superb, a triumph - enchanting, funny, moving, with bold, simple sets. I loved it.

Of course I couldn't resist snapping Cleopatra's magnificent throne, which was left on stage at the end of the performance. After the play, I cycled home, alone, in quiet darkness - along the river, across Blackfriars Bridge, through Farringdon and past King's Cross - most enjoyable.

O excellent! I love long life better than figs.

3 comments:

  1. Your Cleopatra throne photo is exquisite.

    Do those in the audience beside the stage have to stand, or is there seating?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is seating, but you can choose to stand in front of the stage if you so wish - cheaper tickets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would prefer to sit, and it looks as though you chose your spot well. I've visited the Globe, but only to see the construction, not an actual performance, which I should rectify.

      Delete